Africa No Filter
Here’s an opportunity for female African storytellers! Please if you know anyone, share this with them.
The latest media grant by Africa No Filter will only fund women storytellers
Women’s voices are still underrepresented in the media. To help close this gap, the latest Media Grants by Africa No Filter are aimed exclusively at women storytellers and women-owned media organisations and outlets.
This grant call-out wants to contribute to an increase in African female storytellers and content creators and to give space to voices that are historically misrepresented and underrepresented across the continent.
Journalists, bloggers, vloggers, content creators, podcasters can apply for Project Support grants worth up to $10,000 while organisations can apply for Operational Support and Capacity-Building grants of up to $25,000.
All applicants should have a track record of creating work that challenges stereotypical narratives of Africa through innovative, creative and compelling storytelling. They should also be involved in at least one of the following:
– Disrupting and challenging harmful and stereotypical narratives and shaping new narratives about and within the continent
– Training and building the capacity of female journalists or content creators
– Amplifying creativity and innovation within the continent
– Update-driven drove insights and analysis to shed light on transformations taking place within the continent
– Leveraging pop culture as an opportunity for powerful storytelling
To learn more about eligibility, deadlines, and application please check the website: https://africanofilter.org/the-latest-media-grant-by-africa-no-filter-will-only-fund-women-storytellers
African Women in the Media Graduate Trainee program 2022
Start Date: May 01, 2022
Position Type: Fixed Term (May – December 2022)
Number of Position: 4 (Four)
ABOUT THE AFRICA WOMEN IN MEDIA (AWiM)
African Women in the Media (AWiM), is a network for African women working in media industries anywhere in the world. Our aim is to impact positively the way media functions in relation to women, and our vision is that one-day African women and women working in media in Africa, will have equal access to representation in media industries.
More information on the organisation can be found at https://africanwomeninmedia.com/.
We are looking for four women who have recently graduated from a media-related course within the last two years to be part of our Graduate Trainee Programme. As an AWiM Media Graduate Trainee, you will experience a challenging 8-month development programme taking you through a comprehensive rotation of critical divisions of our work at AWiM.
Your time on the AWiM Media Graduate Trainee Programme will therefore consist of two focal areas:
You will get editorial coaching to produce gender angle stories and develop stories for bylines on AWiMNews.
You will spend two months each in four critical areas of our work at AWiM. This will provide you with transferable skills to help you succeed in an organisation.
Successful applicants would have graduated from a media-related course within the last two years. They should demonstrate a passion for journalism and women’s rights.
PRIMARY DUTIES OR RESPONSIBILITIES
Embarking on an 8-month development programme designed to accelerate you through an increasingly steep learning curve.
Participating in a rotational scheme that introduces you to some of our essential functions and colleagues.
Taking on real responsibilities to apply new skills in a supportive environment.
Participating in a mentorship programme delivered by experienced professionals.
Don’t worry if you don’t have an extensive CV. We’re looking for women at the start of their career, who are below 26 years of age and have:
– A passion for journalism, adaptability, resilience, good judgement
– A degree or postgraduate qualification
– Good grasp of the English language, including idioms and current trends in slang and expressions
– Ability to work independently with little or no daily supervision
– Strong interpersonal skills and willingness to communicate with colleagues, and management
– Ability to work on multiple projects with different objectives simultaneously
– Good time management skills, including prioritising, scheduling, and adapting as necessary
– Proficiency with computers, especially writing programs, such as Google Docs and Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook, and PowerPoint
– A passion for understanding the world and getting to the facts
– Original and creative ideas for ways to reach new audiences
– Ability to regularly read, watch and listen to news across all platforms
Position is home-based.
WHAT’S IN IT FOR YOU?
We love what we do. We want you to love this work as much as we do, so we aim to offer on-the-job training and development, enabling you to be the best you can be.
– A monthly stipend of $450
– Developing your journalistic skills, researching and writing.
– A chance to get training in different sections of AWiM
– Networking opportunities.
– Opportunity to learn and grow your community engagement skills in an upcoming respected brand called AWiM.
– Opportunity to work remotely.
– A chance to enrich your knowledge on media issues related to women in the industry.
– Professional teaching and mentoring by industry professionals
– Access to AWiMlearning platform, which hosts a range of courses.
Candidates who meet the above requirements should send in a folder of all documents listed below to firstname.lastname@example.org (Use the subject line ‘Graduate Trainee’) no later than April 5, 2022. The interview date will be April 18, 2022.
2. Cover letter, no more than two pages, articulating
Why media women capacity building is essential for gender equality in the media industry across Africa
What interests you about this graduate trainee programme?
What you bring to and hope to gain from AWiM Media Graduate Trainee Programme.
What professional skills would you like to add to your toolbox in the months and years to come to grow in your career field?
3. Copy of academic transcript
4. Copy of your degree and/or postgraduate certificate
5. Proof of age
Read more about AwiM here: https://africanwomeninmedia.com/vacancy-awim-media-graduate-trainee-programme/