Most of my quiet times are for self-reflection. Each time I prepare to reflect, I take nothing along, invite no one and try to keep my brain free of thoughts. I assume that I’ve nothing save from myself and my environment.
During my stay in Workers Village, Tudun Amba in Lafia, Nigeria, I take long walks away from home. I pick a quiet place where I can enjoy the uninterrupted connection with my environment. Luckily green fields surround my neighbourhood. I only had to find a right spot, under some tree shade to reflect. Our environment returns whatever we give to it; respect is reciprocal.
We won’t know the true extent of Providence if we continue to ignore the impact of our activities on the environment. We are tenants and the Environment, our landlord. No good tenant treats her landlord wrong, vice versa.
I remind myself that peace and tranquillity is an extraordinary mix gifted to man by his environment. This is the best time to reflect on ways to treat our environment better.
I speak for green things, the trees and wildlife, and everything that considers itself living. Happy World Environment Day.
The picture above was taken in my favourite hangout spot in Tudun Amba, Lafia, Northern Nigeria. I now travel and live both in urban or rural communities of Southern Nigeria.
- Night Poem: Your LoveI’ll tell the world what Your love means to me… Your love is kind and the peace that steers my boat, It’s the song of the bass guitar playing in my heart when the beats stop, […]
- MoonlightI behold the nightfall across the dark blue clouds I watch evening carry desires of men waiting to unfold I enjoy the sensation of the imminent weekend Drums of merrymaking sound miles off, Cackling, singing, every […]
- Speak UpSilence is not always golden When it comes to caution and discipline, silence may be an adversary. Take, for example, seeing a kid who rides bicycles on the busy road and deciding not to warn him […]
- Night by Robin BlissSoftly the gentle night descends Slowly my quiet soul ascends One by one the sparkling lights appears Driving away all my daytime fears The deepness of the solemn night Sweeps away all traces of the light […]
- Humanity FirstThe one who plants trees, knowing that he will never sit in their shade, has at least started to understand the meaning of life Birds up the trees There, up the trees, I saw several nests. […]