Most of my quiet times are for self-reflection. Each time I prepare to reflect, I take nothing along, invite no one and try to keep my brain free of thoughts. I assume that I’ve nothing save from myself and my environment.
During my stay in Workers Village, Tudun Amba in Lafia, Nigeria, I take long walks away from home. I pick a quiet place where I can enjoy the uninterrupted connection with my environment. Luckily green fields surround my neighbourhood. I only had to find a right spot, under some tree shade to reflect. Our environment returns whatever we give to it; respect is reciprocal.
We won’t know the true extent of Providence if we continue to ignore the impact of our activities on the environment. We are tenants and the Environment, our landlord. No good tenant treats her landlord wrong, vice versa.
I remind myself that peace and tranquillity is an extraordinary mix gifted to man by his environment. This is the best time to reflect on ways to treat our environment better.
I speak for green things, the trees and wildlife, and everything that considers itself living. Happy World Environment Day.
The picture above was taken in my favourite hangout spot in Tudun Amba, Lafia, Northern Nigeria. I now travel and live both in urban or rural communities of Southern Nigeria.
- Bodega Bay (Images and Poetry)Images Retreat at Bodega Bay, California Poetry: The Oceans Call Out The oceans call out to meBlue waves smash into rocksAnd whites waves throw up their hands in joy,Jubilating on the harmony between the ocean and […]
- UC Berkeley (Settling Down)California is exactly what I dreamed it would be, although my worst worry did catch up with me. The clean streets, diversity of people, and hills represent nature, all in an inspirational school setting lined by […]
- AmericaDear friends, Forgive me, I arrived at UC Berkeley from Frankfurt yesterday after sitting on a plane for 13 hours. Timezones changed. Unpacking, registrations, and preparing for classes took their toll on me. As part of […]
- FrankfurtI felt my spirit rise with the gliding aeroplane And now my dear friends, the journey has started. I’m in Frankfurt, heading to the US. I’m going to start my masters degree in the US. Stay […]
- Silent Thoughtssilent thoughtsa gentle nightmemories sportand pillows softa starry twilightcheerful heartsto silence listenharmony knownbeginning and end